- County Departments N-R
- Register of Deeds
- Services and Fees
- Marriage Licenses
- Applying for a New Marriage License
Applying for a New Marriage License
The Register of Deeds office is responsible for issuing marriage licenses and for keeping records of all marriage licenses issued in Iredell County. A license purchased from the office of the Iredell County Register of Deeds is valid in any county in the state of North Carolina. The license is good immediately upon issuance and is valid for 60 days. Once the ceremony is performed, the license must be returned to the Register of Deeds within 10 days to be put on file as a permanent public record.
To obtain a marriage license, please complete the marriage application below:
Click here to complete the application
After submitting the online application, BOTH applicants must appear in person at either our Statesville or Mooresville Office to obtain their Marriage License. If you have any difficulty in speaking and/or reading English, you must provide an interpreter. The interpreter must be over 18 years of age and not related to the parties receiving the license. The Register of Deeds only issues licenses Monday – Friday from 8am - 4pm.
Please read the following prior to your visit:
The license itself costs $60 and a certified copy to use as proof of your marriage can be purchased in our office for an additional $10. We accept cash, debit/credit cards only.
Information regarding how the marriage license fee is distributed, per NC General Statutes:
- $30 goes to the Department of Administration for the Domestic Violence Fund
- $5 goes to the NC Department of Public Instruction for the Children's Trust Fund
- $25 is the Register of Deeds Fee
The Iredell County Register of Deeds office has three requirements to apply for a marriage license:
- Both applicants MUST provide a valid form of picture identification. One of the following is acceptable:
- Valid State Issued ID/Driver’s License
- Valid United States Passport
- Valid United States Military ID
- Valid Foreign Passport based on their ability to be verified
- Both applicants MUST provide proof of Social Security Number. One of the following is acceptable:
- Social Security Card issued by the US Government
- W-2 Form or Tax Return that contains the FULL 9-Digit Social Security Number. The documents MUST be dated within the last two (2) years.
- A letter dated and signed by the Social Security Administration on official government letterhead that includes the applicants full name, birth date and 9-digit Social Security number.
*Note: Applicants who do not have and are not eligible for a Social Security number may obtain a marriage license by signing an affidavit attesting to this fact. This affidavit is available at our office at the time of license issuance.
Both applicants MUST provide a copy of their Birth Certificate. Foreign Birth Certificates MUST be translated in English and certified.
*Note: The complimentary certificate issued from a birth facility or a wallet-sized birth record are NOT acceptable documents.
*Divorced applicants must provide the date of their divorce finalization. If the divorce has been in the past 30 days, a certified true copy or original divorce decree must be presented.
Applicants under 18 years of age:
As per the NC G.S. 51-2, it shall be unlawful for any person under 16 years of age to marry. Any person ages 16 to 18 need a certified copy of a court order issued by a judge and must be accompanied by a parent having full or joint legal custody or a person serving as a legal guardian with proper ID to give their consent. There must be no more than 4 years age difference between applicants. Applicants must also fulfill the above listed requirements.